Whole School Workshops and Consulting
Chip and his team hold live workshops for Montessori schools, both in-person and online, via Zoom. See the list of workshops and a brief description of each below. Email Chip on the Contact Us page to discuss arranging one of these course for your school.
Getting on the Same Page
A common approach to discipline based on shared values helps develop a deep sense of community and partnership within a school and is essential to creating an environment that fosters kindness, respect and responsibility. The following classes are designed to teach the foundational tools and principles of Positive Discipline to teachers and parents and begin a school-wide approach to discipline and social-emotional learning.
Positive Discipline in the Montessori Classroom – Practitioner’s Class
The Whole-School Practitioner’s Class is designed to help schools develop a consistent, respectful, and research-based approach to classroom discipline that is fully aligned with Montessori principles. This workshop focuses on helping teachers and administrators learn and implement the principles and tools of Positive Discipline in the classroom.
Participants will learn to:
- Create a classroom social/emotional environment that will reduce misbehavior.
- Develop clear and consistent practices among adults to meet behavioral challenges respectfully and effectively.
- Understand the roots of misbehavior in children.
- Help children develop self-regulation, cooperation, and independence.
- Address chronic misbehavior.
- Help students find a sense of belonging and significance in their classroom community.
- Develop school-wide practices that will help teachers and parents.
A 2-hour evening parent presentation is available for schools conducting the Whole School Practitioner’s Workshop. The parent presentation is conducted the evening before the first day of the workshop.
See the Upcoming Events page for the next time this workshop will be offered.
Parenting the Positive Discipline Way – Parents’ Class
The Parenting Class is designed to help give Montessori parents the tools they need raise children who are responsible, cooperative, respectful, confident, independent and happy. This class can be scheduled as an in-person intensive workshop or 7-week Zoom workshop.
Participants will learn how to:
- Address misbehavior effectively.
- Avoid power struggles and win cooperation from their children.
- Navigate different parenting styles between spouses/partners.
- Develop responsibility and self-discipline in their children.
- Understand the roots of misbehavior and how adults sometimes contribute.
- Address sibling rivalry effectively.
- Bring the joy into parenting!
Shorter Zoom workshops for parents are available, based on scheduling availability.
Developing staff members to facilitate classes and continuing education for parents and teachers is the key to long-term implementation of Positive Discipline. Schools that wish to train their own staff to teach Positive Discipline principles and tools to teachers and parents can continue their work with Positive Discipline with the following workshops.
Teaching Parenting the Positive Discipline Way – Facilitator’s Workshop
The Teaching Parenting Facilitator’s Workshop provides Montessori Educators with the tools they need to start teaching Positive Discipline Parenting Classes. The Practitioner’s Workshop (above) and one-year of practice with Positive Discipline are suggested pre-requisites for this workshop. Participants who successfully complete this workshop will receive certification as Certified Positive Discipline Parent Educators through the Positive Discipline Association.
Empowering People in the Workplace – Leadership Workshop
Empowering the Montessori Team, based on the Jane Nelsen and Dina Emser’s work, Empowering People in the Workplace, helps Montessori school leaders create a culture of mutual respect and shared leadership using the principles of Positive Discipline. This workshop is for the whole staff. Participants will learn to facilitate the Team Problem Solving Steps and the Team Meeting process which build leadership skills and staff collaboration. The workshop will also teach empowering methods of communication that promote a respectful, highly productive workplace environment.
Consulting and Coaching
Consulting and coaching services are available to support school leaders as they implement Positive Discipline principles within their schools.
Chip provides support with:
- Developing staff best-practices for Positive Discipline implementation
- Incidents of challenging or serious behavioral challenges
- Navigating difficult parent communications
- Addressing authentic bullying behavior effectively
- Developing continuing education for teacher and parent education models for long-term Positive Discipline implementation
- Addressing challenging adult behaviors in staff and parents
- Creating policies and procedures to support Positive Discipline principles and practices within the school.
Consulting and coaching services can be billed hourly or contracted annually based on need. Please contact Chip directly for more information.