Whole School Workshops and Consulting
Chip and his team hold live workshops for Montessori schools, both in-person and online, via Zoom. See the list of workshops and a brief description of each below. Email Chip on the Contact Us page to discuss arranging one of these course for your school.
Positive Discipline in the Montessori Classroom – Practitioner’s Workshop
The Whole-School Practitioner’s Workshop is designed to help schools develop a consistent, respectful, and research-based approach to classroom discipline that is fully aligned with Montessori principles. This workshop focuses on helping teachers and administrators learn and implement the principles and tools of Positive Discipline in the classroom.
Participants will learn to:
- Create a classroom social/emotional environment that will reduce misbehavior.
- Develop clear and consistent practices among adults to meet behavioral challenges respectfully and effectively.
- Understand the roots of misbehavior in children.
- Help children develop self-regulation, cooperation, and independence.
- Address chronic misbehavior.
- Help students find a sense of belonging and significance in their classroom community.
- Develop school-wide practices that will help teachers and parents.
A 2-hour evening parent presentation is available for schools conducting the Whole School Practitioner’s Workshop. The parent presentation is conducted the evening before the first day of the workshop.
Positive Discipline Parenting Course – Parents’ Workshop
The Parenting Course is designed to help give Montessori parents the tools they need raise children who are responsible, cooperative, respectful, confident, independent and happy. This class can be scheduled as an in-person intensive workshop or 7-week Zoom workshop.
Participants will learn how to:
- Address misbehavior effectively.
- Avoid power struggles and win cooperation from their children.
- Navigate different parenting styles between spouses/partners.
- Develop responsibility and self-discipline in their children.
- Understand the roots of misbehavior and how adults sometimes contribute.
- Address sibling rivalry effectively.
- Bring the joy into parenting!
Shorter Zoom workshops for parents are available, based on scheduling availability.
Going Deeper: Developing In-House Training
Schools that wish to train their own staff to teach Positive Discipline principles to teachers and parents can continue their work with Positive Discipline with the following workshops.
Positive Discipline in the Montessori Classroom – Certification Workshop
The Certification Workshop is the next step in making Positive Discipline part of your school culture. This workshop is focused on deepening your staff’s understanding and practices of Positive Discipline. This workshop will also give teachers and administrators the tools they need to start mentoring and teaching Positive Discipline principles within their school to ensure long-term implementation. The Practitioner’s Workshop (above) and one-year of practice with Positive Discipline are suggested pre-requisites for this workshop. Participants who successfully complete the certification workshop will receive certification as Certified Classroom Educators through the Positive Discipline Association.
Teaching Parenting the Positive Discipline Way – Facilitator’s Workshop
The Teaching Parenting Facilitator’s Workshop provides Montessori Educators with the tools they need to start teaching Positive Discipline Parenting Classes. The Practitioner’s Workshop (above) and one-year of practice with Positive Discipline are suggested pre-requisites for this workshop. Participants who successfully complete this workshop will receive certification as Certified Positive Discipline Parent Educators through the Positive Discipline Association.
Empowering People the Montessori Team – Leadership Workshop
Empowering the Montessori Team, based on the Dina Emser’s work, Empowering People in the Workplace, helps Montessori school leaders create a culture of mutual respect and shared leadership using the principles of Positive Discipline. This workshop is for the whole staff. Participants will learn to facilitate the Team Problem Solving Steps and the Team Meeting process which build leadership skills and staff collaboration. The workshop will also teach empowering methods of communication that promote a respectful, highly productive workplace environment.
Consulting and Coaching
Consulting and coaching services are available to support school leaders as they implement Positive Discipline principles within their schools.
Chip provides support with:
- Developing staff best-practices for Positive Discipline implementation
- Incidents of challenging or serious behavioral challenges
- Navigating difficult parent communications
- Addressing authentic bullying behavior effectively
- Developing continuing education for teacher and parent education models for long-term Positive Discipline implementation
- Addressing challenging adult behaviors in staff and parents
- Creating policies and procedures to support Positive Discipline principles and practices within the school.
Consulting and coaching services can be billed hourly or contracted annually based on need. Please contact Chip directly for more information.