The Practitioner’s Class ~ March 2023 – Austin
March 3, 2023
Casa Montessori School
On Friday and Saturday, March 3-4 we will be conducting this two-day Positive Discipline training at Casa Montessori Child Development Center in Austin, TX.
Facilitated by Chip DeLorenzo.
The Practitioner’s Class is based on the book, Positive Discipline in the Montessori Classroom, by Jane Nelsen and Chip DeLorenzo. The class is designed to help participants learn how to implement respectful, effective, and time-tested methods of classroom management that reflect our deepest values as Montessori educators: mutual respect, cooperation, responsibility, empathy, and independence.
During this experiential training, new and veteran educators and administrators will learn how to:
- Create a classroom community and social/emotional environment that will reduce misbehavior and foster normalization;
- Develop clear and consistent practices amongst the adults in their classrooms to meet behavioral challenges respectfully and effectively;
- Understand the roots of misbehavior in children;
- Empower children to be respectful, cooperative, and responsible members of the classroom community;
- Help children find a sense of belonging and significance in their classroom community;
- Effectively train assistants in classroom management;
- Develop school-wide practices that will help parents as well as teachers.
I have been working with Positive Discipline for over 27 years, in the capacity of teacher, administrator, and trainer. As a young teacher, learning the skills to manage classroom behavior saved me from burnout. More importantly, it helped remove the biggest roadblock to normalization – misbehavior. As a head of school, Positive Discipline enabled me to empower staff members to find consistent and effective solutions to common misbehaviors in the classroom and to create a support system to help resolve the most difficult behavioral challenges.
While there is no magic bullet for managing behavioral challenges, there are concrete principles and skills that can be learned by adults that will help develop respect and cooperation in the classroom, and effectively respond to misbehavior in a manner that helps children for the long term. We hope you will join us for this workshop.
Yes. A 10% group discount is available for groups of three or more from the same school. Please contact Chip directly for group registration and payment. Phone: 207-380-3465 Email: email@example.com
Participants will receive a copy of the book, "Positive Discipline in the Montessori Classroom", by Jane Nelsen and Chip DeLorenzo, a workbook.
Bring something to take notes with. iPads, tablets and laptops are welcome, but not needed. The training is experiential, and participants will be participating in small and large group activities throughout the class.
The class is created for educators who work with children, ages 2.5 through adolescence. Toddler teachers often attend the course, but it should be noted that while all of the activities will be reflective of Montessori principles, some will not be applicable for Toddlers.